Week 38 - The sacrificial cow

Monday, October 6, 2014


Hi Everyone,
Monday (Pday)
I made salsa which was pretty good, and everyone liked it!  That night we had an appointment 8 miles out of town.  We rode bikes to it at 7:30 p.m.  and once we got to his house he CANCELLED -_- so that was a bummer!

Tuesday 
I contacted a nice catholic man at the bus stop we talked for about 2 hours waiting for the bus that never came - ohhh Indonesia!  I gave him a Book of Mormon and he was really interested!   We then went to Brother Bon Bon’s house and had a great lesson on how God answers prayers.  At the end it was so funny he said ... “I prayed to God to know when I would die  ... and God answered my prayer.  He said that God said... "Bon Bon you won’t ever die because we lost our paper work in Heaven so you’re not on the roll call any more,”  he was totally serious!   It was a great story.  He really reminds me of Grandma Leen and I like him a lot. 

Wednesday 
Time is flying by.  We picked up our new “greeny” Elder Chou he’s a good guy. He is from Arizona too!   Later that night we interviewed him with a whole bunch of funny questions.   We went to bed early that night because we left to Jogja the next morning at 4am.

Thursday 
On our way to Zone Conference
We went to ZTM and left at 4am.  We got there at 10 a.m.  long, long ride.   We took a really old bus to get there.  It was a different way thru the jungle it was awesome!  This is our nicer bus that we rode on the way home.

Friday
Taught 3 lessons today!  They all went really well!   English class was good.  It’s so much fun to teach English because they are all about college age and already know the basics!

Sunday 
It was the day where all the Muslims sacrifice cows and goats and it is gruesome.  There is blood everywhere in the streets next to all the mosques.  The night before, they pray on the loud speakers until the next morning at 4am and its so loud cause we live under a mas jid (mosque).  They believe in the Mosaic law of sacrifice.





This is the unlucky cow

They sacrifice the cow right over this drain.  As we were taking pictures of it, they were taking pictures of us!  I have many more pictures of the cow being sacrificed but I will spare you those!


I bore my testimony today at church.   I really like Semarang except the heat!
I’m so happy and grateful to be a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and to teach and preach in the beautiful country of Indonesia.  I have learned so much about myself, about the world and other people.  My knowledge of the gospel has grown immensely.  My testimony of this church grows stronger each time I share it with others and because I can see the change in their lives when they receive it.

I can promise you that the Book of Mormon is the word of God as well as the Bible.  I’m often asked, “how can you live there, in such a remote place with all those different customs? Why don’t you just come home when it’s so hard? How are you possibly making it through? " The answers are simply because I believe God is on my side and helping me thru all these things.  The more I pray the more my prayers are answered and the more I testify of the love of Jesus Christ and His atonement for our sins and the truth of the teachings of Christ the more my testimony grows. 
I know Christ lives! I believe that Thomas S. Monson is a true Prophet of God.  I believe that God loves all his children equally. 

I can promise that if we pray with a true and humble intent and seek to inquire something from God, and we have the faith sufficient to receive it ... he WILL answer our prayers. 
Love you all have a great week!

Elder Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment